It's officially summer now, and our July Produce Bag has the perfect ingredients to throw in a delicious summer salad. Check out this easy recipe for a Mexican-inspired Chopped Salad, featuring our green bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and corn!
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
For the tortilla strips:
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper diced (July Produce Bag)
- ½ medium red onion diced (or our onion from the July Essentials Bag!)
- 1 medium cucumber diced (July Produce Bag)
- 4 medium tomatoes seeded and diced (July Produce Bag)
- 4 ears corn of fresh corn chopped (July Produce Bag)
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro plus whole cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin, garlic and salt.
- Slowly add the oils, stirring continuously with a fork or small whisk.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- For the corn tortilla strips, preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Stack corn tortillas on a cutting board. Cut in half. Cut each stack of halves into thin strips, widthwise, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Transfer tortilla strips to a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad, place corn, two ears at a time, in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- After cooling, cut bottom end of corn off, about 1 1/2 inches from end. Pull back husk and silks (almost all of the silk should easily pull away). Cut kernels from husks and set aside.
- Combine corn and other salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips on top.
Photo credit and recipe inspiration from The Café Sucre Farine.