While burgers usually steal the summer grilling show, Smith Family Farms Italian sausage links are here to up your hot dog game. The recipe below also offers ideas on super easy grilled vegetable toppings for your new and improved hot dogs.
- 4 (4 ounce) Smith Family Farm hot Italian sausage links
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hotdog buns or sandwich rolls
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat. Lightly oil grate, and set 4 inches from the heat.
- Pierce the sausages in a few places with a fork, and set aside. Slice off the bottoms of the onion halves so they will sit flat on the grill. Brush the bell pepper and onion halves with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place the sausages, onions, and peppers on the preheated grill. Cook and turn the sausages until well browned and juices run clear. Cook vegetables until tender and peppers are slightly charred. Remove vegetables and sausages from the grill.
- Place the peppers in a paper bag, close, and cool slightly. Remove and discard the charred skin from the peppers; slice peppers into strips. Slice the onion halves. Place salt and pepper to taste, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Add the peppers and onions, and toss until evenly coated.
- Brush a little olive oil on the buns or rolls and toast them quickly to give a little crunch.
- To serve, place sausages in sandwich rolls, and top with the pepper and onion mixture.
- Tip: Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Recipe inspired by: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/143146/festival-style-grilled-italian-sausage-sandwiches/?internalSource=hn_carousel%2002_Grilled%20Italian%20Sausage%20Sandwiches&referringId=16549&referringContentType=recipe%20hub&referringPosition=carousel%2002
But what would a big backyard grill be without some refreshing fruit or salad? This month’s fruit bag features pears, so here’s a recipe for a grilled pear salad with mesclun greens for the grilling fanatic in all of us.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette (check out this recipe to make your own: )
- 1/2 cup Pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 pears, ripe but firm, cored and cut into 6 slices each
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 package (5 to 7 ounces) mesclun salad mix
- 1/2 cup Feta or goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup Golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast nuts for 5-7 minutes. Cool.
- Brush prepared pear slices with olive oil. Prepare grill to medium heat.
- When grill is hot, place sliced pears on to grill rack and grill each side for 2 - 4 minute.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine salad greens, cheese, raisins and balsamic vinaigrette. Gently toss all together.
- Place salad on each plate and arrange 3 grilled pear slices around salads. Serve.
Recipe inspired by: http://www.marzettikitchens.com/kitchens/recipes/detail/412/grilled-pear-salad-recipe