Try mixing up the standard with a little something new! This VT take on a traditional grilled cheese makes a delicious sammich that pairs a savory mayonnaise with rich cheese and bacon. You've gouda brie kidding me with this recipe!
Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Cheese Curds
- ½ beef bullion cube (1 teaspoon)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (medium, thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 Tblsp butter (softened)
- 8 slices bread
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese (cut into 4 slices)
- 3 oz. (1 cup) cheese curds
- Salt and pepper to taste
Try this recipe with our Bridport Creamery Cheese Curds, Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Butter, and Vermont Bread Company bread!
- In a small bowl, mash the bullion cube into two teaspoons of hot water until dissolved. Whisk in the mayonnaise, and season with salt and pepper. To add a little spice, mix in two teaspoons of Sriracha sauce!
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown and softened (should be about ten minutes). Stir in the vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- In another skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning once, until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Set a griddle to medium heat. Butter the bread slices on one side. Spread the other side of four bread slices with the mayonnaise. Top with onion, cheddar, cheese curds, and bacon. Close the sandwiches, butter side out, and cook over medium-low heat until crisp, about four minutes per side. Cut sandwiches and serve!
Makes four sandwiches.
Photo creds and recipe inspiration from Fredrika Stjärne and Frederic Morin!